Onward we go, to the technical aspects of the monochrome assignment.
This one was tricky. The idea of how we were meant to execute it somehow seemed to stick in the brain more than the previous assignment, probably because it was new and slightly trickier. It took longer to figure out the theory behind it, and then there were questions to be asked whenever a teacher strolled through the room, things to wrap the brain around, getting the setup right, trying to get the angles of the lights “correct”, making sure everything was focused in camera, double checking everything. I was the first person to shoot this assignment in my two-person group, and being first always takes a little longer, but it took quite a while longer this time. I think it was that way for a lot of people.
But, in the end, all was well! Hooray! The time finally arrived, I pulled the slide, shot the picture (plus bracketed photos), put the slide back in, and then hauled the film off to be developed. I was so relieved to pick it up and find pictures on my film. This was not an assignment I wanted to reshoot.
- Camera and Lens: 4×5 Calumet view camera, 8in/210mm lens
- Film: 4×5 Fujifilm Provia 100F, Daylight, ISO 100 (chrome film)
- Exposure Factor: 2 (1 stop over for normal exposure)
- Exposure Info: ISO 100 (film and lightmeter), F/16 @ 1/125. The yarn ball and background were right at a half stop in difference.
Here’s a picture of the general setup:
What my picture was supposed to look like:
And my beautiful, actual piece of film! (again, sorry about the rubbish way of showing it to you…I’ll try and ask/figure a better way to show them off)
I just noticed how horribly yellow/green my picture is…oh well. Anyway, that’s all for now. Hope you guys enjoy.